This was originally a recipe for 3-bean salad, but over time, we’ve made it much more interesting. After trying this, you’ll never buy 3-bean salad in cans or jars again.
1 Large Onion (red, yellow, or white) coarsely chopped
1 Bell Pepper (any color) coarsely chopped
1 Can Baby Lima Beans
1 Can Cut Green Beans
1 Can Yellow Wax Beans
1 Cup White Sugar
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
Optional Ingredients (up to 4)
1 Can Kidney Beans
1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Whole-Kernel Yellow Corn
1 Can Sliced Carrots
1 Can Black Olives
8oz Cooked Pasta
1. Rinse and drain canned vegetables.
2. In a canister large enough to hold the salad, combine the sauce ingredients and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add in the vegetables (and pasta) and stir well.
4. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours (overnight is better), stirring occasionally.
5. Adjust salt and/or sugar to your taste. If it is too sweet, add some more vinegar.
6. Will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.